Jeremy Rifkin talks to a audience of students about how the global economy is in crisis. The exponential exhaustion of natural resources, declining productivity, slow growth, rising unemployment, and steep inequality, has forced us to rethink our economic models and realise that we have to move into the third industrial revolution.
Scientists are now telling us that we are entering into the sixth extinction event and that in the next seven decades, we could lose over half of all living species of life that inhabit planet earth, the third industrial revolution has the potential to be earths saviour.
Right now, we, humanity, is just not grasping the enormity of this moment. We may acknowledge climate change, but everything just carries on as usual, people are not waking up to this and the third industrial revolution that is on the horizon. So what do we do. Where do we go from here?
In this feature-length documentary, social and economic theorist Jeremy Rifkin lays out a road map to usher in a new economic system.
- Chapter 1. The Great Economic Revolutions in History (12:40)
- Chapter 2. The Science of Productivity (20:55)
- Chapter 3. A New Smart Infastructure (29:10)
- Chapter 4. Zero Marginal Cost and the Rise of the Sharing Economy (35:32)
- Chapter 5: Financing the Transition (54:30)
- Chapter 6: Two Generations of Mass Employment (56:32)
- Chapter 7: A New Consciousness for a New Era (1:00:01)
- Questions & Answers
- Rethinking Employment In an Automated Economy (1:12:57)
- Peer to Peer Education (1:15:45)
- An Emphatic Counter-Narrative (1:18:18)
- A Biosphere Trade Agreement (1:22:08)
- Ecological Agriculture (1:25:15)
- The Water Energy Nexus (1:27:35)
- Leapfrogging Poverty in the Developing World (1:31:02)
- The New Digital Monopolies (1:34:06)
- America (and the World) at the Crossroads (1:36:01)
A Third Industrial Revolution is unfolding with the convergence of three pivotal technologies: an ultra-fast 5G communication internet, a renewable energy internet, and a driver-less mobility internet, all connected to the Internet of Things embedded across society and the environment.
This 21st century smart digital infrastructure is giving rise to a radical new sharing economy that is transforming the way we manage, power and move economic life. But with climate change now ravaging the planet, it needs to happen fast. Change of this magnitude requires political will and a profound ideological shift.
Find out more about Jeremy Rifkin and The Third Industrial Revolution